Friday, April 23, 2021

Migrating from Android to iOS

It has been 2 weeks since I migrated from Android to iOS, I would like to jot down my experience before I forgot, for future reference.

First of all, why am I migrating?

The main reason is I do not have my next target Android phone to upgrade to. Google has fuck me up by not bringing in Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5 to Singapore. I do not see any chance to Pixel 6 either. My second choice will be LG but they will be gone for good. Not a fans of Samsung, not considering China brands, so I have no choice but to switch. 

Coincidently, My wife upgraded her phone and has an iPhone X lying around, so I pick it up, bring to Apple store Singapore and get the battery replaced and voila, "new" phone unlocked!

Beside the reasons above, I also want to try out Apple ecosystem with my iPad Pro and my wife MacBook Pro, after reading so many good review about Apple ecosystem online.

The transition process is somewhat painless. I used "Transfer to iOS" apps from Google play to transfer my contacts and SMS. Since I throw almost everything to Google Drive, so no major data transfer is needed. 

The only down side is I am loosing all my WhatsApp chat history. There are still no sync between Android and iOS while other apps and games has it for years, shame on you WhatsApp!

Anyway I believe is a good start for me as there are so many "rubbish" in my WhatsApp chat history that I always want to get rid of, a fresh start is a good news to me instead.

Basically I used 1-2 hours to re-download the apps and games, most of the time are used to retrieve forgotten passwords LOL.

What I like about iOS:

1. Easy to use

2. Retina display is way better than my Google Pixel 2 XL

3. Smart learning, the device can capture your usage pattern very fast

4. Apple Music, I am a long time iPod classic user and I have all my music stored in iTunes

5. Strong vibrate that I can feel. When I am using Pixel 2 XL, I can hardly feel when my phone is ringing and vibrating

What I missed from Android:

1. Always on display, this is really convenient, I can look at the time and notification without unlock the phone 

2. Bigger screen, iPhone X screen is too small for today standard

3. Spam sms block, Google really did a good job here, Apple please catch up

4. Finger print, Face ID don't work when I am on mask.

6. Google pay with finger print is easier to use, Apple pay took so many steps - double click, Face ID, Passcode, or am I missing something here?

Am I regret of switching over?

No.

Will I switch back Android?

Yes, if only google bringing in Pixel phones again to Singapore.

Please Google, please bring Pixel phones to Singapore again.

No comments:

Post a Comment